This latest blog is written by Tom Woolley from The Hive, Wirral Youth Zone in Birkenhead in advance of our meetup there this Thursday (7/3/19)
The Hive are absolutely delighted that we will soon be welcoming West Wirral Business Network to see our incredible facilities first hand.
The past 12 months, including our first anniversary in April 2018, has seen The Hive exceed all expectations in terms of engagement with young people and we have had countless highlights, not least our visit from The Duke and Duchess of Sussex! We have received amazing recognition for this work, including winning New Business of the Year at the Echo Liverpool City Region Business Awards, the Gold Award for Charity of the Year at the inaugural Wirral Life Awards and then scooping the overall Platinum Award later on that evening.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex on their visit to The Hive
Some of our first-year facts
- More than 5,000 members signed up (against a target of 3,000 based on the experience and performance of other youth zones)
- Over 1,000 members with a disability, representing 20-30% of each session
- More than 80,000 visits, an average of over 1,500 per week, 50% above target
- 11,630 hours of volunteering time given, worth over £115,000
- 80% of young people engaged in our employability provision are now in education, training or employment
- More than 35,000 hot meals served, including 5,000 to those at risk of holiday hunger
- 2,392 hours of open access youth work. With a choice of 20 activities every session and an average of 10 taking place at any given time that is over 23,000 hours of activities for young people planned and delivered.
We are now able to focus to a greater extent on quality, development and the implementation of a strategy to ensure that we maximise the number of individual young people who we reach and work with, working in key hotspot areas across the borough to positive engage young people, benefitting the entire community.
2019 is shaping up to be an incredibly exciting year for us as we are also expanding provision in each area of delivery in line with growth plans, ensuring a high quality and varied offering for our young people.
I will look forward to meeting you all on Thursday and thank you again for choosing to visit The Hive, I guarantee you will leave inspired!
Head of Fundraising
The Hive, Wirral Youth Zone
Find more at www.thehiveyouthzone.org
Registered Charity No.1163183